[EP-tech] File download restrictions not working after upgrade

I upgraded an old eprints server from 3.1 to the EPrints 3.3.15. I also migrated it to a new server running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with new hostname and server ip at the same time.

Everything seems to be working well except that file download restrictions do not have any effect. Someone who is not logged in can download any file, even if it is is marked "Restricted to Registered users only" or "Restricted to Repository Staff Only."

Permissions on logging in and editing files seem to work. I also tried changing the restrictions on files to see if that would do anything but it doesn't seem to.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Edward