Re: [EP-tech] Longtext field: maxlength

> The wiki documentation
Before someone says' yes it does', I've just updated the wiki with this detail :o)

-----Original Message-----
From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of John Salter
Sent: 26 April 2016 10:15
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Longtext field: maxlength

Hi,
Just discovered something that might be useful for others to know:
An EPrints longtext field has a default max character length of 65535 (quite a bit shorter than a database longtext field).
https://github.com/eprints/eprints/blob/3.3/perl_lib/EPrints/MetaField/Longtext.pm#L115

The wiki documentation for a longtext field doesn't mention this default limit.

As this is a default, it can be overridden in the repository config for a field:
{
        name => 'referencetext',
        type => 'longtext',
        input_rows => 15,
        maxlength => 120000, #MySQL longtext can theoretically handle 4G?
},

Hope that helps someone in the future - someone just uploaded a thesis with 90,000 bytes of reference text - which is how I discovered this!