[EP-tech] Re: Shibboleth/SAML and ePrints 3.3.x

Hi Matt,

I work for EPrints Services and have recently setup Shibboleth login for a number of institutional repositories we host. I have been updating some internal documentation we have for this but I would need to rework this documentation before making it public as it contains customer specific information.

As you may be aware, setting up EPrints as a Shibboleth Service Provider would never be as straightforward as just installing a plugin, even if one existed, as a lot of the configuration needs to be modified in the Shibboleth Service Provider application itself (usually to be found under /etc/shibboleth/). Also a large chunk of effort is registering the Shibboleth Identity Provider(s) you want to use with your Service Provider and the getting that/those Identity Provider(s) to register your EPrints Shibboleth Service Provider. That said, is should be possible to provide as a plugin the bare bones needed for EPrints Shibboleth setup/configuration, so someone can get EPrints ready to support Shibboleth, once the non-EPrints Shibboleth Service Provider configuration is ready.

As Alen describes on his GitHub repo, http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Webserver_authentication#Add_the_login_script gives a good overview of the EPrints configuration needed if you know how to do the Shibboleth side of the configuration but there really needs to be a wiki page to walk you through the whole configuration EPrints + Shibboleth. This also needs to be somethng easy to find on the wiki when you search for Shibboleth.

Could you tell me with Operating System (OS) you are using, as if I get a chance to start working on a EPrints Shibboleth setup page pn the wiki, I will try to tailor it to this OS initially.

Regards

David Newman
EPrints Services