[EP-tech] Re: Inexpensive hosting for e-prints?

What do you consider to be inexpensive? And what level of performance and reliability do you require?

I've got a tiny EPrints demo box on AWS, and it is slow. Now, if I bumped the specs up a bit, it wouldn't be - but then it would also be more expensive.

Price/performance on Amazon isn't great - in particular, disk I/O is fairly horrible, unless you pay for provisioned IO (expensive).

But the trade-off is that it's a pretty reliable environment. Not just in terms of their data centres, but that the virtualized server can quickly be shifted from a failing piece of physical hardware to another, and you have infrastructure around security, etc.

For some other projects, I've just started taking bare metal servers at Hetzner - the price/performance is incredible (quad core 3.5Ghz, 32GB ram, 240GB SSD for 59euros) - but you have no firewalls (only what you install on the server), you can't recover from hardware failure so quickly, there is backup space included but you need to set that up yourself.

It's unlikely you need that level of performance, but you do need to consider what trade-offs you are willing to make.