[EP-tech] Re: Coversheets - anyone involved with the development still around?

Hi John,

I think that the point the metadata would get lost is when the covering
pdf file is stitched to the original pdf, generating a covered version.
In the latest coversheet bazaar package uses ghostscript(gs) as the
stitching program, which is not preserving the metadata.

Pdftk (https://www.pdflabs.com/docs/install-pdftk-on-redhat-or-centos/),
which is a more comprehensive program that may have option to preserve
the metadata, was used previously until a serious bug caused it to
loop/never finish processing the stitching process for some types of pdf
files. The bug was believed to be fixed in a more recent version of
pdftk, but it has not been fully tested in eprints yet.

It is probably worth to try to install the latest version of pdftk and
ask eprints to use it as the stitching program.

_To switch to use pdftk__in eprints_
/opt/eprints3/lib/plugins/EPrints/Plugin/Convert/AddCoversheet.pm line @ 215

in archive/[repoid]/cfg/cfg.d/z_coversheet.pl  @line 30
> ##Add pdftk executable path:
> $c->{executables}->{pdftk} = "/usr/bin/pdftk";_
> _

Best
Jiadi

On 23/09/2014 12:25, John Salter wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone around here have anything to do with the 'Coverpages' bazaar package?
> http://bazaar.eprints.org/cgi/search/simple?q=Coversheets
> In particular I'm looking at the metadata associated with the resulting (covered) PDF. On the UKCoRR mailing list, there was a claim that some work had been done so that metadata that existed in the original PDF wasn't affected?
>
> Cheers,
> John

Jiadi Yao
jy2e08 at ecs.soton.ac.uk