[EP-tech] Re: Browse pages

Hi Ian,

This is from an email around 13/10/2008, which I sent to the list, when we were having problems with the views taking a long time to process (this was back in eprint v2.x era) ...  we ended up getting the view generation back to sub 1 hour processing time... Basically, check your MySQL settings and tune it up, so you can eliminate MySQL as the bottleneck.

		We had a few simple views being created each, we added a new people view, which then subsorted by year,
		this took the processing time up to almost 22hours (from 2hrs).

		Eventually the number of eprints in our system grew, and the script was taking 24+ hours, and cron fired
		off a 2nd copy, before the first had finished.  We ended up getting load averages of 300+ !!! While both were
		running concurrently.

		To fix this I fiddled the settings for mysql.  Increasing memory etc.

		The 128M values I used as 1/8 of system memory.. I have since increased it even more, but I recommend
		keeping it below 50% of system memory.

		Inside MySQL as root/owner of the MySQL system Run

		SET GLOBAL query_cache_size = 128M; SET GLOBAL key_buffer_size = 128M; SET GLOBAL table_cache = 128;

Hope this helps a bit.

Matt