[EP-tech] Re: Browse pages

The "browse by" pages are called "views".

The module EPrints::Update::Views, traditionally invoked by the
generate_views script and in newer versions of EPrints also triggered by
requesting a stale view page, generates a separate HTML file for each
view and for the summaries (how this occurs and which views are
generated is driven by specifications in cfg.d/views.pl of your archive).

In general, EPrints creates the XHTML document structure in memory first
(by calling "appendChild" for each node) and in a final step it converts
the content of this structure into a string, which is written either
straight to browser or to a file.

Strings that appear in the GUI are not found directly in the source
code, instead they reside in phrases XML files. So typically you search
the phrases files first to locate a piece of GUI (watching out for line
breaks etc.), and in the next step you search for the phrase id in the
source. However, with views it may not be the best approach because they
mostly consist of data from the database, with few fixed phrases on
which to base your search.

You should just put some print STDERR "debug\n"; statements (goes to
Apache rror log) or alter EPrint::Update::Views code and then observe
what effect this has on the output of bin/generate_views.pl

"Manage deposits" is quite a different story, it's a "screen"
(implemented in EPrints::Plugin::Screen::EPrint::Deposit), as are most
pages you see while navigating through EPrints. However, the output is
done pretty much the same way, XHTML document structure constructed by
the screen module, then output centrally. Note that the module
Repository.pm (formerly Session.pm) contains quite a few functions that
add more complex content to the XHTML document (they are called
render_xxx there).