[EP-tech] Need to specify port, username and password for SMTP authentication

I have EPrints v3.3.12 running in Ubuntu server 10.04.

Everything seems to be working but email. Am I able to specify port, username and password for smtp authentication anywhere in the EPrints configuration files?

I can't figure out how to get an smtp server running on my own VPS, so I have opened an account on mandrill.com to be able to use their smtp server, but I need to pass on username and password and connect through port 587.

I've searched a bit and tried fiddling with some hack suggested for EPrints 2, but without luck. What I have tried:

'smtp_server' => 'smtp.mandrillapp.com:587',

in "/usr/share/eprints3/perl_lib/EPrints/SystemSettings.pm"

and

$smtp->auth( 'username','password' );

on line 167 of "/usr/share/eprints3/perl_lib/EPrints/Email.pm" (Of course with the real username and passwords)

I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere before, I've found several people with the problem, but none with the solution.

Thank you in advance!

/Jacob