[EP-tech] Re: Ubuntu dependencies

David McElroy dijo [Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:16:52AM +0000]:
> Hi All,
>         Just doing an eprints install for an internal test server here and I've came up against a vast amount of unnecessary dependencies.
>
>       mcelroy@st-ep01:~$ sudo apt-get install eprints
>	(...)
>       The following extra packages will be installed:
>         antiword cups-bsd cups-client cups-common elinks elinks-data fontconfig fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core fonts-lmodern gcj-4.8-jre-lib ghostscript
>         gsfonts gsfonts-x11 hicolor-icon-theme imagemagick imagemagick-common libapache2-mod-perl2 libapache2-reload-perl libarchive-any-perl
>	  (...)
>         samba-common-bin shared-mime-info smbclient tcl8.6 tcl8.6-lib tex-common texlive-base texlive-binaries texlive-luatex tk8.6 tk8.6-lib ttf-dejavu-core
>         unzip update-inetd x11-common x11-utils x11-xserver-utils xbitmaps xdg-utils xfonts-encodings xfonts-utils xpdf xterm
>
> I checked the dependencies to confirm you guys hadn't added x11(!) to the dependencies recently:
>	  (...)
> Anyone every came across this before when installing on a fresh Ubuntu 13.10 Server?

Hi,

There are many transitive dependencies and recommendations coming into
play here. You do not need to have the xserver-xorg-* packages
installed (that is the X server), but you will have many X11 libraries
— In my case, gsfonts-x11, libx11-6, libx11-data,
libx11-protocol-perl, libx11-xcb1, x11-common, x11-utils and
x11-xserver-utils. Just as an example, you could try removing some of
them from aptitude (and _not_ committing the change). For example,
x11-common is installed because libice6, libxtst6, xfonts-encodings
and xfonts-utils all depend on it. xfonts-utils is installed because
gsfonts-x11 and lmodern depend on it.

xfonts-utils can be safely removed from the system: It was installed
just as a "recommended" package by xpdf. Finally, xpdf is directly
depended on by eprints.

Now, why is xpdf listed as a dependency? I cannot give you an
answer... I found it only mentioned in
perl_lib/ParaTools/DocParser/Standard.pm, although didn't find it as
directly used. I doubt it is used for extracting information from PDFs
(as it is a viewer, not a general manipulator as ghostscript would
be).