[EP-tech] Re: Using soft-linked storage location for documents

It appears that EPrints thinks that the 'disk0' directory doesn't exist and tries to create it, which fails because it is there, hence the error.  Not sure why that would happen but sounds like permissions. Check for eprints.eprints ownership and RW permissions. Check for differences between the default directory and the new one you've created.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Caldow, James
Sent: Tuesday, 8 October 2013 7:24 PM
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: Using soft-linked storage location for documents

Hi Mark,

Yes, I've always known them as soft-links, but I should have clarified by referring to them as symlinks too.

I had a look into the httpd config file and added a FollowSymLinks directive. There was no difference at all to eprints, even after a couple of restarts of Apache, though I do feel you might be onto something.

If I carry out an ls of the eprints directories as the eprints user I can traverse all the way to the disk0 folder without a problem. I can also touch files in there as the same user. However, if I try to access the "status" from the eprints admin section I get the "No storage directories found in /usr/share/eprints/archives/[repoid]/documents" error in a browser and the following in the httpd error_log:

Failed to mkdir /usr/share/eprints/archives/eresearch/documents/disk0: File exists
---------------- EPrints System Error ----------------------------
No storage directories found in /usr/share/eprints/archives/eresearch/documents
 at /usr/share/eprints/perl_lib/EPrints/Repository.pm line 1753
	EPrints::Repository::get_store_dirs('EPrints::Repository=HASH(0x7f5e70eb9b80)') called at /usr/share/eprints/perl_lib/EPrints/Plugin/Screen/Status.pm line 237
	EPrints::Plugin::Screen::Status::render('EPrints::Plugin::Screen::Status=HASH(0x7f5e725523c0)') called at /usr/share/eprints/perl_lib/EPrints/ScreenProcessor.pm line 377
	EPrints::ScreenProcessor::process('EPrints::ScreenProcessor', 'session', 'EPrints::Repository=HASH(0x7f5e70eb9b80)', 'template', undef, 'url', '/cgi/users/home') called at /usr/share/eprints/cgi/users/home line 25
	ModPerl::ROOT::ModPerl::Registry::usr_share_eprints_cgi_users_home::handler('Apache2::RequestRec=SCALAR(0x7f5e733bd5b0)') called at /usr/lib64/perl5/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm line 204
	eval {...} called at /usr/lib64/perl5/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm line 204
	ModPerl::RegistryCooker::run('ModPerl::Registry=HASH(0x7f5e733af200)') called at /usr/lib64/perl5/ModPerl/RegistryCooker.pm line 170
	ModPerl::RegistryCooker::default_handler('ModPerl::Registry=HASH(0x7f5e733af200)') called at /usr/lib64/perl5/ModPerl/Registry.pm line 31
	ModPerl::Registry::handler('ModPerl::Registry', 'Apache2::RequestRec=SCALAR(0x7f5e733bd5b0)') called at -e line 0
	eval {...} called at -e line 0

So, I can access the directory on the server itself, but not from the web front end. It definitely looks like there may be something wrong with the Apache config, so I will try chasing that down.

Thank you for replying and for giving me somewhere else to look. As I mentioned in my original email, this has dragged on for some time now, and I was starting to think I was going mad. Any further advice would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

James