From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] on behalf of Tim Brody [tdb2@ecs.soton.ac.uk]
Sent: 22 April 2013 09:16
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: mysqldump problem with cachetables

mysqldump does a "SHOW TABLES" then goes through each table to dump it. Of
course, a table can be dropped in the mean-time which will confuse it.

So either you have to modify mysqldump to obtain a global lock (not so good
for users) or force it to skip-over lost cache tables.

The better long-term solution is to use InnoDB tables and a file-system
level backup, but that can come with its own problems.

--
All the best,
Tim.

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:40:50 +1000, Mark Gregson <mark.gregson@qut.edu.au>
wrote:
> If you are running myisam table engine, you could try myisamchk
> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/myisamchk.html) to check for
> underlying table problems.
>
> Is it possible that EPrints is cleaning up (dropping) cache tables while
> mysqldump is running?
>
> Mark
>
> Mark Gregson | Applications and Development Team Leader
> Library eServices | Queensland University of Technology
> Level 3 | R Block | Kelvin Grove Campus | GPO Box 2434 | Brisbane 4001
> Phone: +61 7 3138 3782 | Web: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/
> ABN: 83 791 724 622
> CRICOS No: 00213J

Indirizzo/Address
> : C.so Duca degli Abruzzi,  24 - 10129 Torino - ITALY Skype :
tealdi.paolo
> Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
> e-mail
>
> The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
> guarantee. Registration number: 977818 England. Registered Office: 309
> Regent Street, London W1B 2UW.

All the best,
Tim.