[EP-tech] Re: ISI Citation Data Import Script

Dear Tim,

I have developed a SOAP client against the Lite Service based on the CPAN module "SOAP::WSDL". http://search.cpan.org/~mkutter/SOAP-WSDL-2.00.10/lib/SOAP/WSDL.pm

The main difference I see between premium and Lite is the data encapsulation. The search results returned by Lite service are in plain XML modes while the results back from premium is encapsulated in CDATA. It is very painful to parse the CDATA though I succeeded. Also there are two key metadata are missing in the new version Lite Search compared with the old WoS service (as I understand there was no Premium service before):

1, The record type is missing in Lite service. So all the records are imported as "Article". Our editors need to sort them out by hand once records are imported.

2, Author's email addresses are missing in Lite service. So editors need to add them by hand.

Of course, there are more metadata provided in the premium service, such as physical addresses of authors, sponsors of projects, abstract, etc. However, our repository is not very interested in those. We are now fighting with WoS about the record type metadata as it actually downgraded the service level as we had before.

Best Wishes,
Jia

Jia Tian
Systems Analyst, Infrastructure, Information Services

T   Internal: 62079
T   020 8417 2079

Kingston University London
Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames KT1 2EE
www.kingston.ac.uk

Information in this email and any attachments are confi dential, and may not be copied or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor disclosed
to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to create any legally binding contract or other commitment through the use of this email.