[EP-tech] FW: Citation Import Plugin Error

From: Mark Gregson
Sent: Tuesday, 6 November 2012 10:24 AM
To: 'Sheraaz Buksh'
Subject: RE: Citation Import Plugin Error

I’m glad you got that sorted out – I’ve committed that path change to trunk.

Regarding the Google Scholar plugin, we are not using ourselves so I don’t know whether it is still working.  It’s a fragile plugin since it is just screen-scraping. A quick test here suggests that the first request for a record will work, but the second will not, ironically because it scrapes from a different page (now changed) that was deemed to be a safer choice! That should be easily patched by the look of it.

The import plugins actually import data into the citation dataset.  A function in datasets.pl is hooked to the EP_TRIGGER_CREATED trigger and so is called on the creation of new citation data and inserts the latest citation count into the relevant eprint record.

The import script should output something like this when --verbose is used:

Starting EPrints Repository.

Connecting to DB ... done.

Item parsed.

Imported gscholar 129

Ending EPrints Repository.

You can confirm that no data has been imported by querying the citation table.

You’re going to have to insert some debugging statements to see what path the code is following. I suggest starting at line 25 in import_citationdata to ensure that the plugin is not failing silently.

Mark