From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Robert Berry
Sent: 20 September 2012 11:57
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: MySQL query to update a column value

Hi Claire,

Do not use the UPDATE statement. That's to alter records in the database, not to change table structure.

You need to use ALTER TABLE (more info here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/alter-table.html).

The syntax you want will be something like,

ALTER TABLE `eprint` SET `type` VARCHAR(255);

(Change the number inside varchar to the maximum number of characters you want to be stored in the field.)

If you're uncomfortable writing SQL statements yourself it might be better to use some client software to perform operations like this. I can't make any recommendations but Google 'MySQL client software' and see what comes up.

Best wishes,
Robert Berry