From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Jan Ploski
Sent: 26 July 2012 15:04
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Change management

Hi,

Is there a comprehensive list of which EPrints configuration details are
stored in the file system and which in the database? Are all
configuration settings stored in the database exportable/importable
to/from the file system?

Background: although little tweaks via GUI may seem appealing for small
installations, in general they sound like asking for trouble. Ideally,
I'd like to have all configuration changes pass through version control
and also through a staging (test) system. This is required for
documentation and also for signing off changes by the client before they
are brought into production. Is anyone else using EPrints in this
manner? Are there recommended administration practices (except for
"backup before changes" - restoring backups may be quite problematic if
the data moves forward after changes)? Or is everyone just crossing
their fingers and tweaking their production EPrints directly?

Regards,
Jan Ploski