[EP-tech] Re: using a creator's inital in a citation

You may be able to do this with a custom render function for the field (see below). I haven't tried this on a name field before - only text fields which don't appear in the citation - so proceed with caution!
Alternatively, look in ~/perl_lib/EPrints/Utils.pm at 'make_name_string' - this may also be useful (but will affect all fields of type 'name').

In eprint_fields.pl, add a 'render_value' to the field:
{
    'name' => 'creators',
    'type' => 'compound',
    'multiple' => 1,
    'fields' => [
        {
            'sub_name' => 'name',
            'type' => 'name',
            'hide_honourific' => 1,
            'hide_lineage' => 1,
            'family_first' => 1,
        },
        {
            'sub_name' => 'id',
            'type' => 'text',
            'input_cols' => 20,
            'allow_null' => 1,
        }
    ],
    'input_boxes' => 4,
    'render_value' => 'my_lovely_creator_renderer'
},
In another file (my_lovely_creator_rendered.pl?):
$c->{my_lovely_creator_renderer} = sub {
    my( $session , $field , $value ) = @_;
    my $frag = $session->make_doc_fragment;
#do some perl magic to return the value how you want it

    return $frag;
};