[EP-tech] Re: query regarding compatibility to Zotero

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 16:36 +0100, Tim Brody wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 13:19 +0100, Hugh O Neill wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >

> > I'm trying to get our prints repository (doras.dcu.ie) to be read by a
> > citation manager, Zotero.
> > It does not seem to be translated.
> >

> > I enquired from the Zotero team as to whether a translator could be
> > developed by them to read eprints. This is their response:
> >

> > "Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there is no standard for eprints
> > metadata. ......  If there is a standard of any sort, or if you can
> > find a link to the default fields that ship with EPrints, we'd be glad
> > to support it."
> >

> > I've looked through the eprints site, but I can't find the relevant
> > documentation.
> > Could someone point me in the right direction with this?
>
> Zotero are correct that every EPrints install has its own schema -
> although most are fairly close to the default configuration. Therefore
> reading the raw EPrints data is probably not useful.
>
> What does Zotero look for in the page?
>
> Basic metadata can be extracted from the <meta> tags in the page header.
> Or, it could read from one of the Export plugins via the given <link>s
> in the header.
>
> (3.3 also sets a <meta generator> which makes it easier for scrapers to
> recognise EPrints pages)

Replying to myself ... I think Zotero will spot a "COinS". In
eprint_render add something like this (untested):

my $plugin = $session->plugin( "Export::COinS" );
my $uri = $plugin->output_dataobj( $eprint );
$page->appendChild( $session->make_element( "span",
	class => "Z3988",
	title => $uri
) );

But it looks like it ought to spot <meta> for Dublin Core too:
http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/exposing_metadata

Perhaps you need to ask Zotero why it doesn't spot the existing DC
metadata?

/Tim.