[EP-tech] Email MetaField validation

In our ePrints installation we decided to make things a little easier on the human when importing eprints, by relaxing validation to allow leading and trailing whitespace.  To accommodate this relaxation I modified EPrints::MetaField::Email, adding a form_value_basic method that subsequently strips said whitespace, thus:

----------
sub form_value_basic
{
	my $self = shift;
	my $v = $self->SUPER::form_value_basic( @_ );
	# strip leading and trailing whitespace
	return $v;
}

Is this the right approach, or is there a better point where I can intercept the data before it hits our back-end store?  And if this is the right place for sanitisation, should the method be patched in upstream?

Further, is there a reason that any meta-field would ever want leading and trailing whitespace?  Whatever approach ends up being used to sanitise the data, should it apply to all meta-fields, or just email?

Cheers
--
Matthew?Kerwin |?Web?Developer |?TILS |?Digital?Repository?Team |?Level?2,?I?Block,?Kelvin?Grove |?ph?3138?3910 |?matthew.kerwin at qut.edu.au |?CRICOS?No?00213J