The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle has been using an EPrints repository for a number of years. EPrints Services has provided the technical expertise required to develop a number of novel features. When asked why FHCRC uses EPrints the Library Director offered these reasons:
- With a PMID you have a one-click record import from PubMed.
- The user interface is simple, elegant, and user-friendly.
- Easy embargo control creates convenience for librarians and peace of mind for faculty.
- Users don’t need to be familiar with an institution’s departmental structure to quickly access papers.
- It’s easy to create and import your own taxonomy – we use an extract of MeSH.
- EPrints is well-supported open source software that is built specifically for this purpose and allows for local customization.
You can see FHCRC’s repository for yourself here: authors.fhcrc.org.